Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Po740 code is coming on it drives okay around 5 miles after…

Po740 code is coming...

Po740 code is coming on it drives okay around 5 miles after driving for 10 or more miles it start slipping in first gear and shifts hard in second.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

2003 Volvo s60 2.4t . I've noticed no leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes .I've tried nothing was thinking of just replacing the transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

3/9/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

The torque converter is failing to lock up. which can be caused by a bad torque converter clutch, a bad torque converter clutch solenoid valve or a wiring issue for the solenoid it also can be caused by dirty transmission fluid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
would you change the fluid first ? Or go ahead and change transmissions.

I would absolutely change the fluid first.

add a quart of Lucas transmission fix while you are at it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
change all the fluid out not just what drains from the pan drain. How do you get the rest out ?
Thank you very much .

you won't be able to get it all out yourself that takes a special machine. just drain whatever comes out in the pan. and refill with the same amount

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of. let me know if there is any improvement
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you and please keep me updated

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay i changed the fluid and added a quart of Lucas transmission fix and I've drove it 25 miles it didn't set P0740 code but now it shifts hard from second to third, I thought maybe I needed to just flush the system ?

you never want to flush the transmission on an older higher mileage transmission. if anything, replace the fluid again to try and free up the sticky valves

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well the car only has 117000 miles on it . So am I moving in the right direction since it's not setting the code?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By the way the fluid was black like oil .

correct. you are doing just fine. replace it again and it should improve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks

you bet

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic