Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I HAVE A 2007 GL 450 and today my gas gauge is not working,

HELLO, I HAVE A...

HELLO, I HAVE A 2007 GL 450 and today my gas gauge is not working, could this be a fuse ? Please advise

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Not really a gas hog, but starts the same.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far just looking for anwers

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it .

3/8/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. To answer your question, there is not a dedicated fuse for the fuel gauge. The fuel level sensor sends a signal to the vehicles computer to indicate the proper fuel level. The issue that you are having could be the fuel level sensor, located inside the tank, or the instrument cluster. Also, there are a couple of TSBs that indicates that the cluster may need to be programed/updated. The TSBs should always be suspected and inspected first. What you need to do also, is have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes. The trouble code will indicate the area of concern and eliminate the guess work.

Above I have attached the electrical information for the circuits, with the areas of concern highlighted. Here, I am attaching the TSBs for the fuel system.

T​he first thing that I would do is have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good job with my question

Thank you, ***** ***** are very welcome. I am always happy to help. Also, please, take a moment to utilize the star scale for rating. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician