Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I had unhooked the battery to test the alternator. I

I had unhooked the...

I had unhooked the battery to test the alternator. I accidentally forgot to hook the terminal back up. Gen light came on just before it stalled. It won't crank now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

I just got it today. Fuel shows quarter tank. Battery shows decent voltage when key is turned on. It will need a tune up.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

1997 dodge ram 2500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I tried hooking battery back up and seeing if it would start. I don't have any type of testers.

3/7/2018
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

So you ran the engine without the battery being connected .

how long did you run the engine like this .

Rgds Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About 25 min.

so the battery cable was hanging free .

and which one the pos or neg cable

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The positive terminal. And yes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't realize It was unhooked until it died.

okay go to the fuse and relay box under the hood and check the main fuses ,well best check all fuses .

Hook up the battery and check the battery voltage with the ignition switched off .

Why was you checking the alternator removing the cable ? to see if it stalls .doing this can cause

ECM malfunctions .

First we need to see if we have a fully charged battery ,a full charged battery will have 12.6 volts .

if 12.2 or lower you will need to charge up the battery .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it to start. Thanks for your help.

Great work well done .

Happy motoring ,Rgds Greg

Should you need further assistance please let me know .

Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will

Happy Motoring and have a good week .

Rgds Greg

Greg
Greg, Technician
Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician