Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1970 skylark replaces the fuel pump and gas take and it's…

Customer Question
1970 skylark replaces the...

1970 skylark replaces the fuel pump and gas take and it's not starting or pumping gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Skylark yourself? What have you tried so far?

I hired someone to replace the tank and fuel pump but theu may have done it wrong

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I need someone that understands that year 1970 gm car fuel system diagnostic

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Car
3/7/2018
Auto Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

Hi there - what size is the engine?

and if it is the 350, does it have a 2 or 4 barrel carb?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i am guessing its a 350 4bbl

Have you tried putting a small quantity of gasoline down the carb, and seeing if the engine will fire?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry I am not paying 26 dollars for a one time chat on the phone

We can converse this way. This is a pretty simple system...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it stats fine there seems to be no fuel getting to the carb

If the tank and the pump were replaced, and the lines were blown out with compressed air, and if the rubber line from the tank to the lines wasn't pinched during tank installation, then there should be fuel at the at the carb. Have you cracked the line at the carb to verify fuel?

If the car has been sitting a long time, there is also a possibility the needle and float are stuck, and no fuel is entering the carb.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I disconnected the fuel line at the carb and no fuel is pumped out.
There is gac in the new take about a gallon is that enough
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
gas

i would add some more fuel... That really isn't enough. 5 gallons would be a good start. I don't think a gallon would get to the pick up tube...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fuel sending unit was fg91b

Would you like to add some fuel, and get back to me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will

That part is for a 6 cylinder engine with a return line on the fuel pump. Does the fuel pump have three lines - two heading to the rear of the car, and One to the carb? The pick up and sending unit may be the same for the I6 and V8. I wasn't able to get much information from Spectra.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-tank-sending-unit/spectra-premium-fuel-tank-sending-unit/709623_522347_0?&searchText=fg91b
This is from autozone

ok. we should be good. Still no fuel?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I added the gas but still no fuel but now the batter is dead so I will charghe it tomorropw.

Ok - I would try this. Now that there is more fuel in the tank, prime the carb with a little gasoline. Fire it up. Sometimes, because the engine is spinning a little faster, it will draw some fuel through the pump and up to the carb. When the tank was installed, were the lines blown out with compressed air? How long did the car sit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It sat for years

I would suggest blowing the fuel lines out, which is a pain now because the tank is back in it...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
well I could try applying a suction device to pull the gas through

Yes, like a Mitivac.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me how the fuel pick up in the tank works there is a ground strap but it has no function for pumping gas? Still waiting to charge the battery

The pick-up is a tube with a screen on the end. The mechanical fuel pump creates a low pressure, and atmospheric pressure pushes the fuel forward. The ground strap is there for the fuel level sending unit.

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician