Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

WILL NOT HOLD A CHARGE OVERNIGHT. 2005 LEXUS rX330 awD. I…

WILL NOT HOLD A...

WILL NOT HOLD A CHARGE OVERNIGHT

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

2005 LEXUS rX330 awD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I WORK FOR A TOYOTA DEALERSHIP THEY SAID TO REPLACE THE BATTERY DID THAT SEVERAL TIMES SPENT $500 AND THEY COULD NOT FIND OUT ANYTHING SO IM THINL THINKING THAT ITS THE ALTERNATOR

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

YES AND ITS NOT LEAKING

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

JUST WANT TO FIX THE PROBLEM'

3/6/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

Hi there - has anyone checked for a parasitic draw?

Something staying on that shouldn't... the vehicle "thinking" a door is open, maybe the rear hatch switch is faulty. etc... pretty standard stuff in the repair world...

And how much was the parasitic draw?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there was none according to them
thats why i think it is the alternatiorat first the battery would drain every 2 days now if I drive it today it stay charged for about 10 hours then its down
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

can't be zero parasitic draw. If it is zero, they did the test incorerctly

A quick and not super accurate test for checking for charging system action is to start the vehicle, and put a voltmeter across the battery terminals. you should see 13.5-14.5 volts if the alternator is charging. If it isn't chrging, it will be below 12.6 volts. Can you check that for me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

Are you able to do this soon, or would you like me to check back a little later?

Good morning - did you have an opportunity to check your charging system?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
put a new alternator on it still dead overnight
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

Yes...

There is a parasitic draw.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HOW DO I CHECK FOR THAT

Look, I'll be blunt here - if the dealership for whom you work can't figure this out, I feel for you. Seems like you've been given some poor advice.

This video is excellent - but check the comments, as the fella did a math error at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcj1fQcWwU

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

And... I feel that I have answered your questions. Please close up the question, and rate me. If you can't give me at least 3 stars, I would appreciate you telling me why. Thanks. Canuck

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician