Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Have a bmw g650 gs on trip in Mexico. Hit pot hole and

Have a bmw g650...

Have a bmw g650 gs on trip in Mexico. Hit pot hole and dented the front cast rim. Holds air and no vibration. Can I continue trip . Dent is about 1 inch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?

Vents are not cold and no coolant is leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 650?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 650 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Traveling with one other. Have not done anything and have rode about 150 miles

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

Hi there - faced with the same issue, here's how I would play it...

You will want to get this fixed at some point, but much of it comes down to your comfort level. The rim can be dented, and depending upon the dent, the tire will still hold air, and won't vibrate. There is a possibility of small cracks around the damaged area, so you are going to want to keep an eye on the damaged area, and if cracks appears, you will want to get the rim repaired or replaced... You wouldn't want a chunk of the rim falling out at an inopportune moment!

If... you hit another hole, close to the same spot, because the rim has been compromised, you stand a good chance of a blow out, and a crash.

If I were blasting around Mexico on that bike, I would have a look at that damage very time I stopped, just to make sure it isn't cracking. You are on the road, and I understand you want to keep going. I would do so, but with careful monitoring of the damaged rim, and tire pressure. Safe journeys. Canuck (fellow motorcycle enthusiast)

Good morning. How is the trip going?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Going good. Traveled about 220 miles yesterday. Thanks. Just being careful and watching for cracks or any loss of air pressure!

Excellent! I did a trip in January in Ecuador, around the central / northern part of the country. I would like to do some riding in Mexico too. Enjoy!

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician