Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

This is my problem with a 2006 TJ. When I start the Jeep…

Good morning Sir. this...

Good morning Sir. this is my problem with a 2006 TJ. When I start the Jeep everything starts up fine but the "check gauges" light comes up. The oil pressure gauge doesn't register anything. If I go off and restart (for the second time) the engine the "check gauges" light goes off and the oil pressure gauge start reading.I oserved this for a week, it is the same every day.I have to tell you that my odometer stopped working some weeks ago, and that the Jeep has been closed in garage not working, with no battery for 2 years. thank you for your help. best regards

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Excuse me, which light? check gauges? blink and a sound goes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TJ yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, i am an appassionate jeeper

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sorry for my english

3/5/2018
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Sounds like you need to have the engine oil pressure tested with a workshop gauge from a cold start. If the engine does not develop oil pressure quickly enough, this is the warning you get on the instrument cluster.

Can you get a workshop to do this?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I played the gauges test and all the gauges are ok (instrument cluster Intend).

Have you read what I wrote above?

The engine oil pressure is slow to come up.

The oil pressure needs to tested by a mechanic with a gauge.

Nothing wrong with your cluster.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, for my english and for non understanding very well written english......
I actually have not the possibility to test oil pressure with a external gauge .
the car has 40.000,00 km on it and runs very well, after I start the engine for the second time.
I think it is a problem due to a protocol of acting of the central unit ..........

Does the oil pressure gauge eventually start working after the first start, or does it only start working after you restart the engine?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning , Gary. Thank you for your answer, I though you deserted me. Sorry it is the first time I use this service.
The behaviour of the jeep is always, regularly, the same. After the first start, the "check gauges" light comes up (flashing) and sounds. The oil pressure gauge doesn't register anything (is fixed), if I run, the sounds stops, the light stay on and the pointer of the oil pressure gauge is fixed (the engine is good, no problems in temperature or other). If I switch off the engine and restart it (for the second time) in 2-3 second (probably the time required for the digital check of the central unit) the pointer starts moving to the correct position (less after the mid) and the "check gauges" light doesn't go on. every time is the same behaviour.
For this reason I thought that it is a procedure of the central unit, that has to be sure that the driver understand that something doesn't work (in my case, the airbags because I switched off, the abs because I changed the axles and the speedometer in particular because began not to work 2 weeks ago when started this behaviour at starting.
I hope I have been useful to find the problem.
thank you very much.
best regards.
Alberto

Hi Alberto,

Does sound like an electrical issue, but unusual for only the oil pressure gauge to malfunction.

Having said that, it is the only gauge to move from zero to say halfway straight after startup.

The cluster could have a fault, there could be a ground or power supply issue to the cluster etc.

The next thing to do is scan the whole vehicle for codes.

I would also run over all grounds to ensure they are clean and tight, and the battery terminals.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Gary, I think the cluster of gauges is ok (I ran more than one time the check , pushing the odometer button and switching the key on "ON" position, and all lights and gauges on the cluster run their own correct cicle). I will check the grounds and battery terminals better.
I noticed, last night, an oscillation of the intensity of the front main light when I go up with the engine rounds. (as happen in an old car when battery is low but on a 2006 TJ I hope there is a power stabilizer. How can it be possible?
Thank you

You could have an alternator with a slightly low output, low at idle/low speed.

Would be worthwhile checking the charging rate at the battery.

Have you scanned for codes as yet?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I scanned with a not specific software (not by chrysler) and mentioned only speed sensor fault.

Hello Alberto,

The speed sensor code would explain your erratic speedo.

I can't offer you anything else at the moment.

Would you like another experts opinion?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please. I think it is a topic already note among Jeep expert. is possible to comunicate with a Jeep specialist?
Thank you Gary.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I intended it is a problem already know among Jeep's experts .....

I will opt out now, and hopefully another tech can help you Alberto.

All the best.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** best to you!
Al
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Oil pressure would need to be checked with an actual gauge to determine if pressure was correct or not but you're describing a bad oil pressure sending unit. It's not uncommon for the gauge to be down due to a bad sender and then work again if the engine is shut off and restarted. Possible causes are the sender, actual low oil pressure, or a sender wiring issue.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician