Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Check engine light came on. Dealer said it was an emissions…

Check engine light came...

Check engine light came on. Dealer said it was an emissions leak, took care of it at no cost.. 30K service done at the same time, now 1K later light is on again. How do I ensure problem is what they say or more serious. vehicle is a loaded Summit

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays solid

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Summit?

2015

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Summit yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have dealership do all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is this a sign of a lemon? car had 5K demo miles from the dealer's personal demo. Could the car have been abused in that period and just start to show signs now?

2/28/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

There are several parts to the evap system. I would need to know what the original code was and if this is the same code. Part of the reason for the check engine light is to help us know where to start in the system to find the issue. Check and make sure your gas cap is tight as that can be the culprit to turning the light on. If it's not, then tighten it up. It will take some time for the light to go off on it's own, but it will go out.

It's not really the sign of a lemon to be honest. Even as a demo, being rough on it wouldn't cause the vap system to fail. I would check the gas cap and if it's good give them a call to find out what the original code was and what this new check engine light is all about. It could be separate issues altogether.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.

Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
vehicle does not use a separate fuel cap

ah, ok it's one of those types, it is very possible the fuel door isn't sealing tight. If you have another emissions code for a leak, that's where they will start.