Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2010 F150 Lariat with all the traction and

stability control stuff. Intermittently it...
I have a 2010 F150 Lariat with all the traction and stability control stuff. Intermittently it will slow the truck down while driving, usually going around a normal curve at normal speeds. Sometimes once a week, sometimes multiple times a day. When it does this, a loud noise comes from the rear end and the traction control light will flash on the dash. It usually lasts 2-3 seconds and immediately goes away.
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2018
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

This can happen if a wheel speed sensor sends a speed signal to the ABS module that is faster or slower than the other wheel speed sensor. It causes the module to think the truck is loosing traction and then backs off the throotle and modulates the brakes.

Another thing that can cause this is if a tire(s) is a different size or brand or a tire tat is a lot more worn than the others. Ar all 4 tires the exact same size and brand?

Chris

How do I find which sensor is bad?
I also was told it could be the steering angle sensor.

The only true way to tell which sensor is causing this will be to have a scan tool that can read real time wheel speeds and have someone watch the display on the scan tool while someone else drives and makes it act up.

All 4 tires are new.
I have access to a Matco tool that does that.

Ok I have not seen a steering angle sensor cause this, but if there was a problem with the SAS, then there would be a trouble code in the ABS module and the ABS light would remain on until the code was cleared ans SAS replaced. That Matco scan tool should work just fine!

Chris

Thanks, ***** ***** we'll have to drive it for a while to get it to act up.

You are welcome!

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

Thank you! I can leave this session open for a few days just in case you have any follow up questions.

Chris