Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2007 Kia Sorento with 158k miles. Power steering pump makes…

2007 Kia Sorento with...

2007 Kia Sorento with 158k miles. Power steering pump makes a lot of noise when the engine is cold and sometimes it is very difficult to turn the wheel. Once the engine has warmed up the power steering pump quiets down and the steering is much easier to turn.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

Whining noises while turning, yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

Pump fluid has been topped off several times over the years but never changed to my knowledge

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm fixing it myself. Just started exploring the issue. Fluid level is always full and no apparent leaks anywhere.

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

How cold has it been weather-wise in your location?

I'm in North Carolina so the temps have been up and down a lot. Last week the lows were in the teens and 20's. This week they're in the 40's to 50's.
The mileage makes me think the pump is tired and needs replaced but since it performs well when hot most of the time, I then think the fluid might simply need to be changed. What's your experience with the Sorento tell you?

ok, when the engine is cold, the fluids are thick, as the engine warms the fluid thins out. this is a common problem on a lot of cars, especially over 10 years old. I recommend having the power steering fluid flushed and replaced as it is hydro-scopic and will become ineffective as time goes by due to moisture getting mixed in with it.

Is there a filter in those units I should replace? I'd never heard of filters being used in power steering fluid before but a friend mentioned it so it made me wonder about it.

there is a screen on the bottom of the reservoir.

Is it common to need cleaning?

You should have the fluid replaced every 4-5 years and the screen as well. its not a common problem as long as it doesnt get contaminated

Thank you for your help!

you are very welcome and Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you very much