Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My wife drives a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2WD, with 2.7L

My wife drives a...

My wife drives a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2WD, with 2.7L engine. She has been complaining of a burning smell when she is stopped for light/stop sign or after parking. I've opened the hood and smell it, too, apparently coming from somewhere between the engine and the passenger-side firewall. Sunday I put the car up on jack stands and ran it for about 30 minutes and, although the exhaust headers and catalytic converters got plenty hot there was no smell of something burning. I believe it must be drive train related, maybe the CV joint or transaxle on that side. I don't smell anything when she gets home coming from the passenger side front wheel well so I think I can rule out the brakes on that side. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

When she stops in traffic at stop lights or stop signs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had planned to fix it myself depending on what it might end up being. Initially I thought it might be an exhaust header leak (I had seen what looked to be a little fluid of some kind - water, oil? - at the bottom of the exhaust header) and purchased new gaskets. I had wiped everything down before I ran the car and didn't see any sign of new leaks and, after 30 minutes without a smell, I ruled that out. With all the rusted nuts/bolts it wasn't something I was sure I would do myself, but if the problem points to brakes or CV joints i would most likely do that myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything.

2/20/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin has smell returned since you attempted to fix is it still occurring ?

my wife reported that she smelled it again yesterday. I didn't make any repairs on Sunday, but had only purchased some parts that I thought might be necessary. I basically wiped the side and underside of the engine as clean as I could so I'd be able to detect any new leaks and then laid beneath the car for 30 minutes with it running. No smells and no obvious leaks at that time, which lead me to believe it had to do with something in the drive train.

It sounds like you possibly have an oil leak onto the exhaust itself .this can take a while to show and you will need to drive rather than leave car running to get it to occurr.the most likely cause is the rocker /camshaft cover gasket

OK. Could be. I called myself looking but I can check again now that she has some more miles on it. But you don't suspect the CV joint or where the transaxle is held by some kind of bearing to the frame? A small leak is one thing but if a CV joint or bearing locks up she'll be stranded.

If im honest ive never heard of a cv or silumar causing a burning smell like your getting it sounds more likely you have a small oil leak onto exhaust .this gives no other symptoms as the oil gets burnt off so doesnt always even show on the ground under car

Good enough. Thank you for your time.

No problem let me know if you need anything else at all and please remember to rate my service

Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic