Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

HAVE A 1997 ISUZU TROOPER W/ 4X4,V6 AND AUTO TRANS. SPEEDO…

Customer Question
HAVE A 1997 ISUZU TROOPER...
HAVE A 1997 ISUZU TROOPER W/ 4X4,V6 AND AUTO TRANS. SPEEDO STOPS WORKING THEN COMES BACK ON.. IS THIS A CABLE DRIVE OR ELECTRIC ... EITHER WAY GOT SOME IDEAS? WORKS 80% OF THE TIME. ALL ELSE WORKS
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
2/18/2018
Auto Mechanic: Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech. replied 4 months ago
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.

The speedometer on this Trooper is controlled electronically. When the speedometer stops working, does the transmission act funny, or down shift hard?

NNO, EVERYTHING IS NORMAL
NO, EVERYTHING IS NORMAL

Then this will have to be a problem in the cluster or the speedometer head itself.

Most often the electrical motor that runs the speedometer will get hot and stop working till it can cool off.

Test drive it and see if the odometer is still clicking off. If it is the speedometer head will be your problem.