Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Odometer stops working while driving and fuel gauge zeros…

Odometer stops working while...

Odometer stops working while driving and fuel gauge zeros out as well. When I turn it off and turn the car back on it's fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Same as usual

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

2012 Lincoln L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My car started making a noise a few weeks ago where if I'm idle a fan comes on but it seems like it's pounder than it should be

Louder not pounder
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/13/2018
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

have any diagnostic been carried out thus far?

No
I just had the air compressor replaced on it two weeks ago.
I had the dealer look at when I bought it almost a year ago and they did a complete check of the vehicle. They said everything was fine.

was the issue present when the dealer checked a year ago?

No this just started happening. It happens 5 days ago and then the next time I drove it, it was fine. It happened this morning while I was driving and when I shut the car off and restarted it, it was fine again.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

most likely this is just a simple fault within the instrument cluster itself.

I would suggest unhooking the vehicle battery for an hour to preform a hard reboot, and you can consider having Lincoln reprogram the unit but most likely it simply needs to be replaced.

sorry to have potentially bad news but I trust that my honest and prompt response is appreciated.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

If I unplug the battery, will the dealer have to reboot it? Or will it do it by itself.Will unplugging the battery potentially fix the issue?
It will reboot on its own. Yes unhooking the battery may clear the issue. Please do not forget to click on a positive rating
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert