Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

We set the timing according to the diagram. Once it was all…

Eric, We set the timing according...
Eric,
We set the timing according to the diagram. Once it was all together, we started the vehicle and cylinder 4 and 5 were misfiring with no cam crank corillation codes, just misfire. We pulled the heads back off and were ready to send to machine shop, but first filled the ports with water and the valves were not leaking. I thought we had a bent valve but doesn’t appear to be the case. Any thoughts on next steps?
1/23/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Before you pulled the heads off, did you try swapping the coils to see if the misfires traveled with coils?

And is the misfire only when the engine is cold and lessens when the engine warms up>

If so, I need the last 8 of the vin to check to see if a service bulletin applies to it

I have had timing cover and valve covers assembled and disassembeled various times. The coils have been juggled a few times. I did the job without the special tools and not sure if that makes a difference
No misfires entire time. Vin ea332856
Can you call so we can discuss?
Is it possible the chain jumped the first due to a bad coil?

HI,

My cell tower is down from storms and no cell service to call.

If the timing was incorrect, you should have correlation codes as well as the valves being open, so I dont believe your timing is off

I havent seen a timing chain jump from a bad coil before

The service bulletin is applicable to yours by vin number. It calls for doing a fuel calibration and ecm reflash

Any thoughts at this point? The first time
We had correlation codes, but everything we read says to set at 1 top dead center, when in fact once we adjusted the timing we found the key way set at 6 o’clock position and the hole where the crank sensor goes. We are doing this by eye
Will the fuel calibration and exam reflash fix the two misfires?

Any damage to the guides or tensioners when you took it apart that you could see? Almost all cases of it jumping is from either failed tensioner or guides

Yes, the fuel calibration and reflash is specifically for the misfires.

We put new tensioners and two guides as it shows a new redesign in the tensioners

What shape were the original ones in?

Original guides were fine. There was some piece of metal broke off the engine and was mangled up on the chain. Appeared to be an oil squirted but the tow in the engine shown were still there. Does it take three?

just 2

I would need to see the piece of metal to try to make a determination of what it was and went to.

Where can I find info on the bulletin?
Any idea where the mangled squirter came from?
Both our scanners came back cyminde 4 and 5 but the misfires cylinders are left bank front and center . Should this be 2 and 4
The metal is a squirter for sure. We are starting to think someone was into this motor before
Are you still there?
Are you still able to help

Sorry, lost internet from storms.

That is definitely a squirter, but is a head scratcher. I have 2 different service manuals and only show 2.

how long have you had the vehicle and how long was it making noise, as I assume it would from chewing that up

No problem. Where are you located btw? I’m in Philadelphia area no storms here, other than loud rumble from Eagles Fans!
I’m the second owner. Had 40k mikes when I bought it. Always sounded like a diesel motor but mostly at start. It made loud noise one day in November and it shut off in the garage
Even As we are working on it we got the feeling this is not the first time the engine was open

Eagles played a great game. Good luck against the Evil Empire Pats.

I am in ND.

The only explanation would be someone else had the timing cover off at some point and left a squirter laying in it. I just dont see how else it would have gotten in there.

At this point, if you dont have it back together yet, I would put it back together and have the fuel calibration done and ecm reflash done.

Agree . I assume that is something the dealer needs to perform. Only has 51,000 miles on it which is 1000 over warranty so maybe they’ll work with me.As good as the eagles have been playing they should be able to dethrone the patriots once and for all. We have the most awesome team of guys We’ve ever had. Would have been nice to see the Vikings play the super bowl at home but this is far better. Thanks for your hep

HI,

Correct, this will be something only a dealer can do as the software is dealer only.

Hated seeing Wentz go down, but Foles has done a great job filling in. I watched Wentz several times when he played for NDSU.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Cary York
Phone call session started