Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My 2006 Yukon Denali wont fill up with gas unless it is done…

My 2006 Yukon Denali wont...
My 2006 Yukon Denali wont fill up with gas unless it is done very slowly. Gas is backing up in the fill.
1/22/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is the check engine light on when it's running?

No

Ok

Typically the issue is with the vent control valve or the purge control solenoid. What causes the fuel to back up is no place for the fuel vapors to go as you fill the truck up with gas. If the purge control solenoid or the vent control valve isn't working, then the vapors are locked in the canister. So, every time to add, the gas comes back up and turns the pump off. You could also have a blocked line from the canister to the purge solenoid.

Most of the time if there isn't a light, the vent control valve is stuck closed. Since the trucks computer runs the test with the valve closed, it wont kick the light on. But the purge can't happen if it's stuck closed. It's kind of like sucking on a straw with your finger over the end. You won't get anything.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me.
Thank you so much!

I had figured that was the problem. Is there any kind of recall? How do you repair it?

Let me check and see if there is a recall for it.

usually replacing it resolves the problem.

I'll see if I can get a location diagram for you as well.

Which engine do you have in this?

V 8?

That will work :)

I am sending you a diagram of it's location under the truck. As for recalls, nothing showing not even a TSB

Now, if you wanted to, you could remove the hose from the vent control valve, then try filling the truck up. If it fills faster, then replace the valve.

Note: This will cause the check engine light to come on.

Is it hard to replace?

Not really, just a connector a couple of hoses and some bolts holding it under there. In fact it might just be a clip holding to the canister.

Is it all one part? Vent control valve and purge control solenoid?

No, it's two parts. Different parts, but like I said, most of the time it's the vent control valve. The purge solenoid will usually set off the check engine light.

Also, please remember to rate my answer.

Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Ok thanks. I’ll see if I can replace it