Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

On 1-16-18, I took my 14 months old GLE350 black SUV for…

On 1-16-18, I took...

On 1-16-18, I took my 14 months old GLE350 black SUV for automatic car wash. I kept it running and put it on "hold' Break to make payment. I pressed viewing mirrors to inside positions. I pressed wash "go" on the payment machine. The in and out doors opened for the vehicle to enter the wash area. I closed my window and prepared to enter the wash. Over the past 14 months, since I have owned this new vehicle, I have leant to press the accelerator pad gently. THIS TIME, TO MY UTTER SURPRISE AND SHOCK, THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY SHOT OFF AT VERY HIGH SPEED. I held on to the steering tightly and put my foot on the break. A small tree broke the speed otherwise I would have injured people in cars on the nearby Eastway drive in Charlotte, NC.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes. The airbags did protect me. If the tree was a big strong one, I could have been severally injured. Front was totally damaged and insurance is looking into any other such "unintentional acceleration" accidents. Please let me know your knowledge and information on such other horrible failures in this and other models or Mercedes vehicles. Did the company own up responsibility and replaced the vehicle-this time well checked out to assure that it will not happen again. Or shall I go for some American vehicle, as I have not heard these stories in US made vehicles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GLE350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It was towed to the Progressive Insurance collision place. They have declared it "totaled' I am asking them, and you also, "Do such cars have black boxes to find out what happened?"

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO thank you. This is all.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/22/2018
1969LSCamaro
1969LSCamaro, ASE Certified Technician
Hello - my name is ***** ***** I can assist you - that is some crazy stuff - hope everyone is ok - very odd to hear that about a Mercedes - Mercedes implemented a 'smart pedal technology' that causes the throttle to disconnect if the gas and brake pedals are engaged at the same time - as for 'black box' if there was a failure in one of the vehicle components, it would be stored in the corresponding module with possible stored incident data as long as it wasn't damaged in the accident - the air bag module also stores all data related to the crash - contact Mercedes - they may want to send out a field representative to look at vehicle and pull any data from vehicle
1969LSCamaro
1969LSCamaro, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you David. (1) Are you knowledgeable about any other such unintentional sudden acceleration in this or other Mercedes models in the USA or other parts of the world. (2) Has Mercedes ever replaced a vehicle for any other serious defects or accidents? (3) In your experience are experts sent by Mercedes company reliable to provide an honest opinion and not jus look after the company's interests only (4) Should I depend on my insurance hired expert to look for the recordings on the "Black Box' and/or air bag module, or ask them to get a Mercedes expert at the same time when they are examining the data recorders? (5) Can you recommend a lawyer, in the Charlotte NC or near by area, whom I might need to help me, if it comes to an impasse with the Mercedes company? Sorry I missed your call. Please reply to these questions by email. Thank you again. Ernest R. Chander, MD