Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I am working on a 2004 Toyota solara 3.3, I have some

I am working on...

I am working on a 2004 Toyota solara 3.3, I have some questions about installing a timing belt.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

108,000, no.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Solara yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes.

1/22/2018
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I am Randall I am reviewing your question now and will return shortly, Meantime any popup request comes from JA and not me.You are not required to select that option and we can keep in this chat format. Back shortly

Unsure if I can help, what questions do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, I am replacing the timeing belt on a 2004 Toyota solara with a 3.3. I got the old belt off and put the new belt on which had reference marks on the belt to help you line it up with the marks on the gears, I thought ok, I have done a few belts before but now this one has me baffled. I put # 1 at tdc and the 2 crank pullys on there marks with the rear cam cover and the crank pulley on its mark then installed the belt with the reference marks to match, then released the belt tensioner and turned it over by hand a few times but I don`t understand what it happening, the marks on the pulleys will still line up when it comes around but the marks on the belt have moved how is that possible?

Are you following repair information? if not, I can send the factory repair information. The turns are only 2 for a recheck so I can not speak about few times, would the timing belt installation instructions help you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
NO, I already have all datadiy.com. And also the instructions that came with the belt, the only thing I did not do was turn the crank back 60 degrees from tdc so you won`t have any interfearance, which I did not understand so I left it at top dead center to change the belt.

I do not know how to answer, I will opt out and open the post to the other experts. I can not call at this moment

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hit the call button accidently any way, I would still like to chat.
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

New expert here. I think I know what's happening. The reference marks on the belt are really just there for installation. Somehow, because of the number of grooves on the belt, and number of grooves on the pulleys the marks can move after you turn the engine over a few times. It has something to do with how the pulleys rotate at slightly different rates. What I would look at is the number of grooves between the installation marks. If for example there are 20 grooves between the cam marks then I would just make sure there are still 20 grooves between the cam pulleys and where the marks used to be. If there are, then everything is still lined up. Most timing belts don't come with marks on the belt- probably to avoid confusion like that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you very much for that answer, it was blowing my mind, I could not understand how this could happen, I put a white mark on the crank gear and a white mark on the belt then turn it all the way around till it came back down again and the white mark on the belt and the white mark on the crank gear where off 5 theeh, Then went around again and they where off 10 theeth.

I would be right there with you scratching my head wondering how the heck it was happening. If you turn the engine over enough times they would eventually line back up, but it would probably have to be like 36 times or something (some multiple of 4 I would guess...?).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much for that great answer, I have lost track of how many times I have turned it over and with it changing only 2 teeth at a time I think I would have to turn it over a whole lot more times to get back to square 1. Thank you Jared, have a good day.

I'm glad I could help. Please let me know if you need help in the future.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Cary York
Phone call session started
Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician