Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My hyundai accent gls 2004 hatch smells of petrol when

Hi my hyundai accent...

Hi my hyundai accent gls 2004 hatch smells of petrol when driving when windows are open

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Everything else is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accent yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've had my mechanic check the whole fuel system for leaks and he can't find where the smell is coming from and can't find a leak anywhere

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm in Australia

1/22/2018
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

In allot of cases, the smallest leak will cause this smell.This type of leak may not leave any fuel dripping or puddling on the ground at all.I have had to use my fingers to go across all fuel line connections and components to see if when I do this if my fingers become wet with fuel at all.If they do become wet at any time the area they become wet at is the leak needs to be repaired.I have seen fuel line connections, fuel pump seal and fuel injectors as the main cause which was not visible until I used my fingers to wipe down across all of these components.

One main cause for the hatch area is the fuel pump.If the pump seats into the tank ( as most do ) the seal that seals the pump to the tank can leak and causes this fault here.If this was not checked this needs to be done as well as any vent connections or hose connections on the fuel tank.In allot of cases, this involves removing the fuel tank to inspect all of these to then locate and repair this leak.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
Thnx fit that.... Is it possible is a problem with the fuel pump or the hoses connection to it,.?

You're welcome

It is very possible this is an issue with fuel pump line connections or the pump itself leaking if cracked or damaged.If you have not had these inspected this needs to be done as well.

Thanks Pete