Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 97 Jeep 4cyl auto, a/c. Besides going to a 350V8…

I have a 97...

I have a 97 Jeep 4cyl auto, a/c. Besides going to a 350V8 swap, what could I do to improve hp and low end torque?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the torque specs?

Not off hand but I think what I really should have ask is more take off power. Jeep drives really good once it gets to 3rd gear. Again it's an auomatic

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 Jeep?

Wrangler (TJ)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

Thinking of adding a cat-back exhaust. Not sure about catalytic converter plus a cold air intake kit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Would it be simpler to simply add a 350 and upgrade transmission and rear-end.?

1/22/2018
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician

Hello my name is***** you for the question. If you are looking for a substantial increase in power you will not get it from the 4 cylinder. It is just not capable of reaching large power outputs. If that is the case then the best thing to do is the V8 swap. if you are just looking for 20+ more horsepower and some more torque to help it out a little then you are on the right track. A cat back exhaust, a cold air intake and a header is the best way to go. Those will help this small engine get more power out of it. There are also some computer chips and programmers out there that can help increase it a little more, but allowing the engine to breath better is the best way to go. I hope this helps. If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks Bobby. Even 20 hp improvement would accomodate my needs. So the catback and air intake may work. If I had to move to a 350, what transmission and differential would you recommend? Thanks for your thoughts

If you do the V8 change over I would go with an upgrades 700R4 trans and the differential would be based on the tire size. Most people go with something like a Ford 9" or something similar.

FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician