Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

The wipers have slowed down. And yes. 1996 regular cherokee.

The wipers have slowed...

The wipers have slowed down

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?

Yes and yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

1996 regular cherokee

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am and I have tried checking for corroded connections

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

when you turn the wipers on, does the voltage gauge needle pulsate?

dont have a voltage gauge. the wiper breaker does get kinda hot

ok the wiper motor is drawing to many amps. its just wearing out

if I hook up an amp or voltmeter to the breaker can I confirm your conclusion and what should the amp draw be ?

disconnect the motor and apply 12 volts directly to it. that will tell you the same thing

The motor and not the switch or connections is the problem you say. The motor is not used that much and works OK but is just slower
Correct?

Ive been doing this a long time. the vehicle is 22 years old and doesnt get used much and that can be the reason its slowing down too.

so I will open this up to the others and they can help.

OK thanks
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. If you pulled the wiper transmission off of the wiper motor yet, and then moved the wiper arms by hand to make sure they don't feel like they are binding up or excessive effort is needed to move both the wiper arms?

no I haven't
I will try that when I pull the motor out. anything else to check?
Maybe I will pull the motor and clean it up before I decide to replace it. I was hoping it might be more simple of a remedy.
thanks

This one is actually an assembly that you need to take out as one unit on the regulator Cherokee. I believe it is likely either seizing up some at the pivot points in the wiper transmission, or the motor is indeed need of replacement, I would check the voltage to the wiper motor with it unplugged just to make sure it's reading within 1/2 a volt of the battery voltage, and if it is reading within 1/2 a volt it will need a motor and the transmission addressed if there is any problems there.

A new wiper motor at rockauto.com is around 60$. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you and best wishes.

Edward
Edward, Service Technician