Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

The car starter turns over but is not cranking the engine,

Hi, the car starter...

Hi, the car starter turns over but is not cranking the engine, put in a new battery but no change. seems like the starter solenoid may not be engaging.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yes, not in this car, 2007 suzuki sx4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just the new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, think that's it, thanks

1/22/2018
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

The starter motor needs to be removed for further inspection.

The solenoid will be fine if the motor spins.

Either the starter internal planerary gearset is faulty, or the flywheel ringgear is damaged.

Gary

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician