Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My transmission went out. And the mechanic wants to fix

My transmission went out...

My transmission went out. And the mechanic wants to fix drive train too. I’ve heard they don’t typically need repaired at the same time. Do I need to get a drive train?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

August

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?

2001 TT Quattro

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I have a mechanic. It’s a 6k repair with the drive train and I can’t do that. So I want to make sure I’m not being forced into something I don’t need. His words were “you have a Quattro so we also need to replace the drive train” He made it sound standard a though transmission and drive train need to replaced together

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that’s everything

1/22/2018
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Thanks

They definitely typically do not need repaired at the same time. When you say the transmission went out, did it quit pulling all together? or did it lose forward or reverse gear or quit shifting? thank you.

I was driving and it locked up. I couldn’t shift gears, it stalled in neutral. Couldn’t be pushed out of the road

alright, it could be the rear differential, or the front, but I doubt it's both, it may not be the transmission at all, what he needs to do first is pull the rear driveshaft, and see if the rear is locked up, or the front is locked up. it's going to be one or the other I think, did you notice and rumbling noise from the front or rear just before it locked up?

No. No noise at all. Just literally stopped

interesting, does this mechanic specialize in transmissions by chance?

How many miles are on it roughly?

No. They are a German mechanic. It’s where I took my vgolf and now my TT
93k

Alright, I understand, If it locked up, it could be the front or rear differential, could be the transmission as well, could be something in the brake system though as well, It's interesting it made no rumbling or grinding noise before locking up, if it were the gears inside the transmission or the differential gear I would really think you would have noticed that making a lot of noise before it locked up. I would recommend another opinion from an Aamco transmission center, or Cottman, or a national chain type transmission center that has the best reviews that is close to you. I believe you could get it fixed for 3K or less, not the 6K figure you were quoted.

Ok. I’ll have it towed for a second option. Thank you for your help

Absolutely, Thank you, I do not believe both the transmission and drive train failed at the same time, that would be very rare in my opinion.

Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, Service Technician