Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I've worked with Ted Ritter, Genchi Genbutsu & Skyvisions…

Hello,I've worked with Ted Ritter...
Hello,I've worked with Ted Ritter, Genchi Genbutsu & Skyvisions before. But any technician can probably help me if they're not readily available too.02 Toyota Sequoia 4WD, 183K milesI seem to have resolved my problem, at least for now. Although I have a general idea, I don't fully understand what caused it & am wondering if anyone could help shed more light on it.My Sequoia sat about 2 weeks after a road trip, parked on an incline, transmission in park, e-brake applied.A few days ago when I started it, it wouldn't move more than about 1", forward or back. My first idea was to pull forward an inch, and since I was parked on an incline, put the transmission in neutral, release the brakes and see if it would roll. It rolled back one inch and stopped.I tried going forward & reversing a few more times, same thing, it would go 1" or so & stop. I gave up that day as I had other things to do at home. Today, same problem but I had a few ideas I wanted to try. The first thing I did was let it roll back the usual inch & it stopped itself. Then I put it in 4WD. It went forward an inch & it stopped. I was curious what would happen if I increased the throttle. I did that, it took slight revving before I heard a loud popping sound but it was back to normal and driveable again. The popping was almost like a stuck rotor that doesn't want to come off & has to be removed with a puller. If the above hadn't worked, my next thought would've been to open a bleeder valve & see if that would help free it and aid in figuring out which brake may've been stuck assuming it's a brake related issue.My main hunch is that something with the e-brake, or maybe a brake caliper was binding or sticking and keeping the vehicle from moving. I also thought maybe a driveshaft or u-joint issue but in my opinion (correct me if I'm wrong) I would've never gotten out of the driveway if they were the issue.I was concerned a brake may be dragging but when I stopped, it stops smoothly, no pulling, or other grinding noises. It also isn't pulling while driving down the road. I did have the front rotors turned a few years ago due to some brake pulsation/vibration issues when braking on hills.It drove well enough today that it almost seems like nothing was ever wrong.I guess my main question is whether or not my thinking seems inline with it being a brake related issue. If so, any better idea what could be going on? Or if not brake related, any other thoughts?I'm debating whether I should proactively have it checked this week, or not worry about it unless it happens again. And also, if I'm stuck in the driveway again, do my ideas of trying 4WD or opening a bleeder valve sound reasonable? Or any better suggestions on what to do in that instance? I was reluctant to jack up the vehicle since it wasn't parked on a flat surface.Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.
1/21/2018
Pete, Mechanic

The problem was the e brake hanging up. Do you use the e brake very often? It would be a good idea to have it checked. It might only have to be freed up, and the linkages lubed. Releasing the bleeder screw would not help as the e brake is a seperate system. So if you intend to use the e brake in the future you should get it checked out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** the linkage something I can do myself at home? If so, what would I use? Or would it need to be on a lift with wheels removed?I use the e-brake every time I park. But others have driven it also, and maybe they're not applying it but I'm not sure either.

If you are constantly using it, the linkages are probably ok. You can lube them with a waterproof lube. I use external gear lube. You can get it from farm and fleet or buy it on line. The e brake mechanism has small brake shoes that are mounted inside the rear brake rotors. In order to get to them and check for wear ,the rear brakes have to be taken part. The lubing part of the job is easy enough you just lie underneath the truck and spray the linkages at the back of the brake shields. Don't over do it , you don't want lube on the rotors.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again, I may just take it in & get it checked. Last question, do you think it will be easy for a shop to figure out if it isn't acting up in front of them?

Most guys who work on these trucks will know what to look for. Your diagnosis and explanation of the problem was spot on. Do you have a mechanic that is familiar with your truck? If you go to one of the chains- midas- carx, it can be difficult to get them to fix a problem, because they just want to sell everything that they can.

Pete, Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much, you've been helpful. I'll accept & leave a positive review shortly.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck with your truck.

Pete, Mechanic