Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Car coolant temp fluctuates between low and normal. Just…

Car coolant temp fluctuates...

Car coolant temp fluctuates between low and normal

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

Just started 2 days ago. about 170,000

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2005 mercury montego

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montego yourself? What have you tried so far?

Wanting to yes, haven't tried anything except checking the coolant level

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When the temp is low, it's obviously blowing cool air. As it rises the air turns warm. then again temp gauge will fall, and blow cool air again

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

are you sure it is full of coolant?

has the cooling system been worked on lately?

it has

what has been done?

The plastic manifold had cracked. It was replaced, refilled with coolant and tested and was fine.

ok,,

the problem you have now is that you have air in the cooling system from the work that was done..

this is a fairly easy fix.

you need to bleed the cooling system this way.

1-remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold

2-start the engine and let idle

3-turn the heater on max

4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed

5-spme coolant may gush out with the air

6-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture and the heater is hot

7-after the coolant settles down and the engine is warm,,install the cap

This may take as long as 20-30 minutes

this will fix you up

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Tim's Auto Repair
I did the above steps, ran the car for about 25 minutes, seemed to be fine. Let care sit for about 2 hours, took for a drive and the temp gauge dropped back down after about 15 minutes of driving. The gauge never goes past middle. This car has a pressurized coolant reservoir. Should I try the "burp" again, or could it be the thermostat or coolant sensor?

try bleeding it again...

if that doesnt work..then the thermostat may be sticking open..

but it still sounds as if it is air to me.

Thanks for responding.. I repeated the steps again, I even found that it had a bleeder valve, which I opened and antifreeze came out, no air bubbles came out. I found out that a new thermostat had been installed already, and I did confirm that they had burped the system also. The car will be fine while parked, none of the issues occur until you start to drive it, and then the gauge will bounce between "C" and just barely above the mark above the "C", which then in turn cycles warm air then the cool air.
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic