Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have recently changed my ccv valve & maf sensor on my 2003…

I have recently changed...

I have recently changed my ccv valve & maf sensor on my 2003 BMW 316ti. Since then the vehicle will not run. It is idling rough for a short period and cuts out. I have EML and auto transmission warning lights appearing and a system failure warning light appeared for a while recently. I changed the ccv valve because of high volumes of white smoke at high revs and on inspection the valve was clogged with oil. the vehicle the began to refuse to accelerate from a stop position and had a high petrol fume emission so The MAF sensor was replaced. Now it won't run at all, any suggestions, this is driving me mad.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?

No it runs roughly at idle for a minute or two and then dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 318ti yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I've checked as many sensor connections as I can to make sure nothing is unplugged since removing the manifold to do the ccv valve, and replaced the maf sensor because the car would still run with it unplugged. It will not move after starting and putting into gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I need a direction to go in as the vehicle is now costing more to fix than it's worth.

1/21/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the smoke was white and you smelled fuel then the smoke you saw was most likely due to a very rich condition. The mass airflow sensor can cause the engine to run rich to a degree, but if it's to the point of smoking or smelling like fuel then you have an injector related issue or possibly a very inaccurate coolant temperature sensor.

The first step in diagnosing the problem was to see what fault codes have set. Have you read the codes?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician