Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I rechecked the schedule for oil change and discovered it to…

I rechecked the schedule for...
I rechecked the schedule for oil change and discovered it to be time again. I am using 15 k filters and Castrol oil. The oil is dark so I am thinking to shorten the 7500 interval to 5000 between changes. Also would it be a good idea to continue using rislone to aid in cleaning the engine and maintaining lubricity and viscosity
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/21/2018
Don
Don, ASE Certified Technician

hi there my name is don i will help you on this

what grade of oil are you using also is it synthetic ?

5w30,full synthetic

Hi there thanks for that great information

i have been a mechanic for over 40 years . all my vehicles use fully synthetic oil 5W30

i change my oil and filter always at 5000 kilometers or 3000 miles

i have one vehicle i just retired it had almost 1 million miles on it the reason i retired it was because the body was rotted away the engine still purred like a kitten and the oil only turned to a light brown in color and i never used any oil between oil changes plus it pulled a 27 foot Airstream through the rocky mountains .

the reason i tell you this is this

fully synthetic oil is a high detergent oil it cleans as it lubricates .fully synthetic oil also leaves a thin layer of oil on all the bearings to prevent a dry start up like most standard blends.

so having said that here is your answer

i would indeed shorten the intervals to 5000 or even better 3000 miles you can use a good grade oil filter as well ,you do not need to put the Ristone in the engine the synthetic oil is already cleaning the engine

i look at it this way it costs about 50.00 for an oil change or 2500.00 or more for a motor

oil changes are the cheapest form of maintenance you can get

we live in a very volatile climate where it can change up or down 30 degrees temperature over night we have gone from 32 degrees to -36 in one day with the synthetic oil the car always starts and no knock at all because it was not plugged in

Hope this helps you

have agreat day

Don

please

Rate my service by using the stars at the top of the page.

Just Answer can only compensate me for my time and resources after feedback rating thus rating is required Many thanks

Don
Don, ASE Certified Technician

hi there thanks so much for the rating have a great day

Don

Don
Don
Don, ASE Certified Technician