Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I hook up the charger to the battery in my truck set the…

Customer Question
I hook up the...

I hook up the charger to the battery in my truck set the charge on 12V and as soon as it is pluged in the amp needle jumps to 4-5 then 0 back and forth and does not stop until it is disconected.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Last couple of days i would try it and stop

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what it is i am somewhat mechanical

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No it is an older unit but hardly ever used, looks like new

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

I did not know a charger had those features

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car
1/20/2018
Auto Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Are you sure you have the charger connected to the correct posts, red on postive and black on the ground?

Okay try disconnecting one of the battery cables and then reconnect the charger to the battery and see if then charges without the needle jumping and let me know.

I have used a lot of different chargers over the years and never have i seen one do what this one is doing, it ap

Try it once more with one of the battery cables removed and let me know what it does.

i cannot tell you anything more than what i have already explained

I need you to disconnect one of the battery cables from the battery and then reconnect the charger to the battery and see if the needle still bounces. Try this and let me know the results.

Nothing happens with only one cable connected

Does the charger now charge properly?

thats ok i will take the battery to a battery shop and let them deal with it. thank you

Sure thing, thank you as well.

I removed the positive cable and the charger worked fine. Must be if the battery is completely dead it shorts its self out somehow???

That would sure indicate the battery is internally shorted. I would run a load test on it to be sure.

Most auto parts stores can do this for you at no charge.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Any experienced mechanic should have known the answer the minute you heard my question. Instead you stalled and stalled and stalled around trying to get me to call so you could charge me more. Well i am not happy and will be filling complaints with the authorities concerning your extra unapproved charges to my credit card unless you reverse the extra unapproved charges within 48 hours.
Auto Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago

I do not ask for calls at all, those are promoted by the website, I also was not paid anything for helping you as well. I have no control over any charges as well. Pricing and money concerns need to be addressed by customer service. At eaither rate, thank you for slamming me with a negative rating and best to you.