Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury has a Kelsey- oval bellows brake…

Customer Question
My 1959 Plymouth Sport...

My 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury has a Kelsey-Hayes oval bellows brake booster, which was rebuilt in 9/13. At cruisn' the coast in 10/17 booster "locked up". Had to disconnect vacuum line to release. Reconnected and worked ok to return home. Installed a front disc brake conversion, from SSCB kit two days ago, which included a new master cylinder, proportioning valve, the "works". Bench bleed master and all brake lines, added DOT3 fluid as needed. Started engine and booster "locked up" inmmediately. Had to again disconnect vacuum line to release. I called "booster dewey" in Oct.. He said problem was not the booster he rebuilt, but the master cylinder. Whell, I have a new master culinder and still having same problem. I think there may be a check valve inside the booster that is getting stuck, not allowing vacuum release. Am I on the right track? And, if so, can this be repaired in the field? Or, what else might it be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluid? How old are the brakes?

Wheel cylinders rebuilt 9/13. New lines as needed, new brake fluid. As stated, lines bleed ad added fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fury yourself? What have you tried so far?

Working w/ mechanic on installation of kit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that i've disconnected and capped vacuum line from booster and operating on manual.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Car
1/20/2018
Auto Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 29 days ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

I agree. the booster is definitely the issue. there is an internal malfunction with the diaphragm.

the guy may have rebuilt it but something failed. chances are you have no warranty left at this time.

You need to remove it and get it repaired again. no other component will cause this since the vacuum line is what releases the locking up.

Roy

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Can you suggest another booster rebuilder, since I apparently have a failed unit? And, I assume I can run on manual without any problem?

let me check

yes you can but the pedal is harder and takes a longer time to stop as you know

Roy

give these guys a call.

there used to be a place called A1 but they do not do the old cars anymore.

Roy

http://www.johnstuartpowerbrake.com/Power-Boosters.page

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

any update

Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest