Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2013 kia rio with 29000 miles. po54a obd trouble code for…

2013 kia rio with...

2013 kia rio with 29000 miles. po54a obd trouble code for 3rd time this week. 1st time I visited dealership and they said it could be oil pressure problem or the vvt has worn and needs replacement. They check oil filter 1st because in there experience after market oil filters do not permit enough pressure for the vvt to work properly. I perform routine oil changes using full synthetic Castrol edge and mobil one oil filters. I did find service bulletins 377600 and 377601 (mar 1, 2015) for software upgrade to the ecm on vehicles experiencing mil illuminations. Could it be the old program is to sensitive and the vvt is o.k. or could it be the vvt is worn out due to the possibility of inferior manufacturing. I do not find it feasible an engine component could be so sensitive that it would require kia specific oil filters. I have been working on cars since I was 16 years of age and have not seen components extra finicky, they are usually very tough because some people forget about routine maintenance and go over the schedules from time to time. Some help is greatly appreciated since my daughter thinks the car is unsafe to drive and she is also angry that her 29000 mile young car is going to give her a shop bill. Unless there is some helpful info that could short change that. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

Original equipment. yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?

Possibly. Reset the code twice only.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have been into engines in my life, so I am willing to do it again.

1/21/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are a handful of things that could set this code. This code sets when the exhaust cam isn't in the intended position.

If the filter has been ruled out and maintenance history has been good then you shouldn't have to worry about an oil supply issue. The problem could potentially be a bad cam sensor or oil control valve, or it may be a bad exhaust cam phaser. It would be a good idea to have the engine controller software updated to the current level if it isn't up to date already, however there isn't a TSB regarding the code that is setting.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician