Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My engine losses power and stalls, but starts right back up,

My engine losses power...

My engine losses power and stalls, but starts right back up, no lights come on until it stalla

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

At idle

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2014 forte

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forte yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had the battery and alternator checked and they are fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sometimes it will make a sound of like a card in a bicycle wheel

1/20/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

This usually called a limp mode and it can happen for a number of reasons. For us to find the reason would require attaching a scan tool and pinging all the modules for codes and data. This will tell us why it's happening.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
No codes came up when I had it scanned for codes

You're only seeing PCM codes, not codes in any other modules. That's why ALL modules need to be checked for codes and their data.

Thanks again, Ron