Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

We were driving on the interstate and the car turned off and…

We were driving on...

We were driving on the interstate and the car turned off and it's turning over but won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes and we have power

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

Pt cruiser 2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm on the side of the road. We have disconnected the battery and reconnected it

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2018
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** long has the car sat since it turned off?

Without trying to restart It?

Yes, I need to know how long the car has been sitting since the motor shut down? 15 minutes? 1 hour?

20 mins or so

Ok, wait another 30 minutes before trying to start it again. It is possible that your crankshaft position sensor has overheated and shut down the motor. If you let the car cool down it may restart and you can continue to drive to the nearest service center. If you have no success after waiting 30 more minutes I suspect that either the sensor has failed completely or that there is a problem with the fuel delivery, possibly a bad fuel pump.

Let me know how you make out.

Okay

I will be here if you need anything.

Still won't start
Ok, then I would have to suspect a fuel problem or the sensor has failed. I’m assuming you have not run out of gas. In this case I’m afraid you will have to get towed to the shop to have the ignition and fuel systems checked out.
How can I change my rating from a 1 star that was an accident.

Thank you. I will send this to the moderators to have them change the rating. Can you reply back here and let me know how you would like to rate my service?

5 stars sorry about that.

No problem. I appreciate you taking the time to correct the rating.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician