Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 2003 kia sorento. It has a new flexplate and new…

I have a 2003 kia...
I have a 2003 kia sorento. It has a new flexplate and new starter yet it still grinds when cranking. what could the problem possibly be?
1/20/2018
Dan, ASE Master Technician
Automatic or manual transmission?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Automatic. I’ve checked for anything bent or broken and all electrical connections

Did you use an oem or aftermarket starter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Aftermarket

Was the problem there before the starter was replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is what let me to replace the starter. And when I noticed the condition of the flex plate I replaced that as well.

Is the flex plate rubbing on the starter or anything in the bell housing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It only grinds when starting.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It looks like the stater in not fully engaging on the flexplate. When I bench tested the starter, the bendix is fully engaging.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m wondering if it could be a wiring issue not sending a good signal to the starter slowing the bendix to fluctuate

Your crankshaft end play could be out of spec. You would need to check the end play of the crankshaft. You could have a worn thrust bearing causing the problem. I have seen this on some Kia's before.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not think about that. I will check that on Monday and let you know

Ok sounds good.

I am contacting you because this question has not been closed or rated. Please let me know if you have any questions so I can help more. A 3 star or higher rating would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Well I’ve checked the end play and the wiring again. No issues there. I watched with a scope and it appears that the bendix is fully engaging on the flex plate. It appears that the starter is just too far away from the flex plate. There is no adjustment for the starter mounting. Any suggestions

Is this an oem starter?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No

Do you have the old oem starter to compare?

You either have the wrong starter or wrong flex plate installed.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I have the starter that I took off but I don’t know if it is oem or not

You could find a used oem starter and compare.

Now that I have provided a full or partial answer a 5 star rating would be appreciated. You can do this by clicking on the stars in the upper right hand corner. Rating will not close out our chat session and we will be able to respond to each other as many times as needed for free. Providing a positive rating is the only way I receive credit from the site.

Dan, ASE Master Technician
Dan, ASE Master Technician