Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition that we…

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition that we bought used about a year ago. The Park Assist feature has never worked - says "Check Park Assist" in the Message Center. We don't need it as we have had a backup camera installed. Is there any way to just permanently disable the "Park Assist" feature? It's annoying to hit "Reset" all the time and also conditions us to not pay attention to the Message Center messages.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket camera, or did it come with the vehicle?

Aftermarket camera, but that has nothing to do with my question. I just want to turn Park Assist off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried going through the System menu. The manual says that it can be turned off there, but it can't. How do I turn Park Assist off?

1/19/2018
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

hi, you could have this programmed out by a Ford dealer, but unfortunately there is no manual shut off as the vehicle tests the system by default

sorry if you were hoping for a different answer but I trust that my honest and prompt response is appreciated.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert
I appreciate just having a definitive answer. I'm guessing there is no way to disable the Compass feature either? The backup camera we installed is a rear-view mirror camera so of course we replaced the factory rear-view mirror and since then have been getting the "Compass" error message on the Message Center.
I'm guessing there is no way to disable the Compass feature either? The backup camera we installed is a rear-view mirror camera so of course we replaced the factory rear-view mirror and since then have been getting the "Compass" error message on the Message Center. Any idea how expensive it would be to reprogram the Park Assist and Compass messages?

correct. probably one hour of labor to program.