Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Toyota sequoia 2002 Limited 4 wheel drive. Just replaced all…

Toyota sequoia 2002 Limited***** Just...
Toyota sequoia 2002 Limited***** Just replaced all the cords and plugs (whatever they are called now).Anyhow, the check engine light went out. But the VHS or whatever the skid marks are up in the top left of the gagues is still on - showing the vehicle in a skid. Right now it is driving beautifully. But I want that fixed. Is it a fairly easy fix it yourself or do I actually need a shop? It also needs its smog = will it pass smog with the VHS lights on?
it is maintained fairly well
1/19/2018
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

do you mean the vsc light?

I feel if i get these things close you will figure them out,

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

the vehicle will pass smog with this light on, but it means that traction control is offline

When this warning comes on, it indicates a fault within the traction control system on the car. This light is are not specific and is only intended to inform the driver that a fault is present. There are MANY possible causes for this warning - it is not intended to be specific or aid in trouble shooting / diagnostics in any way.

With that said, there are a few common things that cause these lights to come on together, a faulty wheel speed sensor, faulty steering angle sensor or a failure within the traction control module itself. It can also sometimes be caused by a failing alternator or a different sensor as well, but these are less common.

The good news is that when these lights come on, the car’s computer logs a specific record of the problem. As such, you will need to have the fault memory read from the vehicle to determine exactly what your underlying issue is. It requires a specialist scanner to read the VSC codes, so you will need to take the car to a shop with such equipment. This is the only next step at this time. Once the underlying fault is known, you will be able to make the determination if you can preform the repair or not.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert
Thank you very much. I used to know a lot about cars YEARS ago when they didn't have so many brains. I have a rudimentary reader but need one a little more sustificated to check the light. Thank you very much for your advice.