Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Glitter in the upper fuel filter. runs well but worried.

Glitter in the upper...

Glitter in the upper fuel filter. runs well but worried

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts same as usual. 12mpg city 15 to 17 highway

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 Ford?

08 ford f350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing myself. just trying to learn about it. having oil changed at 3000 miles and watching upper fuel filter for small metal flakes (glitter)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The engine has 80,000 miles on it. have replaced radiator hoses and thermostats in cooling systems. fuel cooling system thermostat was sticking causing the wrench fault code and limp mode but new thermostat fixed that issue

1/19/2018
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi how can I help you with this? what did you want to know / what was your specific question?

Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert
Is high pressure fuel injection pump imminent? Should I proactively replace the high pressure fuel injection pump? is there any benefit in that? My mechanic said keep an eye on the glitter in the upper filter glitter.
Phone call session started
I'm just worried that failure of the high pressure fuel injection pump is imminent and I might be looking at a huge repair bill and maybe even a break-down somewhere.