Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My husband's key fob is not working. He knows how to get the…

My husband's key fob...

My husband's key fob is not working. He knows how to get the physical key out of the fob, but we don't know where put it in order to unlock and then start the car since it's all keyless entry. It's a 2016 Subaru Outback.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

He said the battery is fine, it's just not synced up anymore.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, we take it to the dealership. He's at his second job right now and I'm at home. He just needs to know where to put the physical key in order to unlock the car so he can at least get home. We can worry about the fob later..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks, ***** ***** to know how to unlock and start the car using the physical key as opposed to the keyless entry.

1/18/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Thanks

He should be able to use the mechanical key to unlock the driver side door. I am sending the diagram from the owners manual to help with this.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me.
Thank you so much!

No thank you. I just need to know where he needs to put the physical key in order to unlock the door and then start the car.
Sorry about that. My no thank you was about the phone call. Thanks for sending the document. I'll take a look.

No call is needed, it's the site prompting the call.

Thanks for the diagram. Although our car doesn't have a key hole on that side it just has no key hole on the driver side door how would he access the keyhole?

I can't explain, there should be a key hole there. It's supposed to work the driver door, the trunk and the glove box as well as the ignition. I will open this up for the other experts to have a look at. I got the info right out of the owners manual lol.

Okay. Thank you for your help.
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

There is a cover over the key hole you need to remove it.

Ah, okay cool. I'll pass it along. Thank you!

OK, let me no if you need any follow up.

My goal is to provide 5-star service, so please give me a 5 star rating before leaving the site.

Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks, ***** ***** will.

.