Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2008 Saturn Vue: no turn signals, flashers, radio will not…

2008 Saturn Vue: no...
2008 Saturn Vue: no turn signals, flashers, radio will not turn off when door open, wipers don't seek home position when turned off (wiper transmission just changed). Technician tells me the body control module checks out "good". No codes showing a problem. He can't figure out issue. Thinks maybe it's still the bcm but an expensive change out if not the problem.
Additional information.. Technician told me he checked for ground out hard wires and found nothing.
Radio will turn off using on/off on radio itself.
Additional information: Bright lights will not work. Electrical latch for rear tailgate will not open.
1/19/2018
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Thanks Roy.

your welcome.

yes, the body control module controls the functions you have that are giving you there issues.

your shop, did they go directly to the BCM with there scan tool and monitor outputs from the bcm??? There may be BCM codes but will not show up under scanning for engine codes. these codes are module specific.

did they verify power and ground to the BCM?

it does sound like you have a BCM issue but my question is why. Modules fail for a reason. the last thing you want to do is get a new one and burn that one out as well.

Roy

Roy... I do not know the specifics to the questions you ask. I will attempt to find out this morning. I agree with you that I do not want to change out the BCM only to have it go bad as well. I will ask if he checked for module specific codes. Anything else I should grill him on?

ask him if it is the BCM, can he give you a reason for the failure.

also, ask him if he verified powers and grounds to the bcm.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

If he needs a pin out for the BCM, let me know. I can get that to you and you can give it to him.

Roy

do you have any other questions

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you... Just got out of a work meeting. I will give the technician a call shortly. What is a "pin out" for the bcm?Thanks for your help... I will certainly give you a good rating when this thing is done. Please bear with me.

pin out is a diagram of the connectors for the bcm and what they control.

Roy

Thanks... Makes sense.

he needs to check it all before he condemns an expensive part on your dime

Roy

Talked to technician... Here's what he told me.
1. Power and ground to the bcm checked out ok. He stated there were multiple 12V power supplies to the module (??) and all checked out ok.
2. There were no internal module specific codes relating to the failures (turn signals, flashers, wiper home, etc).
3. He stated when plugged into his scope, there was a good signal inside the bcm out to the turn signals (looked like bcm was sending the turn signals the command to work) but they did not operate.
4. He stated for the wiper home position that there was one wire from the bcm to the wiper motor and it checked ok but yet the home position was messed up.
5.There was no reason shown through codes for the bcm to be faulty.The technician is truly stumped at this point. He agrees with your assessment that a replaced bcm could fail too.
Can this bcm just fail with no codes giving a reason?

1. good

2. ok

3. bcm has complete control over turn signals

4. there are 2 wires from the motor to the bcm

5. the bcm can still be bad and set no codes

my gut still says the bcm.

Roy

Thanks. If there is nothing else I should ask him, the bcm seems like the logical fix.

nope, seems like he has it under control.

Roy

Roy

Roy, I was quoted $1100 to replace this bcm. $500 for the part, $600 for install and programming. Does this seem right to you?

let me check

Roy, Is that 500 - 550 total cost or just the install? So if that were the case... 355 for part + 150 for programming+ ? to install

sounds like you need to either have him lower his profit margin or have someone else do it for a reasonable price.

how much did he charge you for the diag???

Roy

Roy, Would I be better going to a GM dealer with this repair?
He charged me $90 for the diagnostic.

you could but they will hit you harder. there labor rates and diag rates are through the roof.

still 50% of what he wants

Roy

Even if I could replace the bcm myself, I don't have the ability to reprogram the module. Unfortunately.
When you state 50% of what he would charge are you assuming GM may charge $550 - 600 or so?

no, dealer profit margins are huge. they may save you some but not a lot or even anything at all.

call around to other shops and see what they will charge you. you will need to do some shopping around.

the dealer will start with at least a 200 diag. then it all builds from there.

Roy

Great advice Roy. I will shop around. The vehicle has 110,000 miles on it and I was wondering if it's even worth fixing. Vue is in great shape, good tires, etc...paid for. I think it may be worth the repair. In your expert opinion, should I get more life out of the 2008 Vue to make this worthwhile?

I would as you seem happy with it. you cannot replace it for the money you will spend for the repair.

Roy

Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
I agree. My daughter drives it and with it paid for she has no monthly car payment. My concern was the expected life of this 2008 Saturn Vue. Is the track record on this model worth keeping it much longer?

good life track. I have seen them with over 200k and running strong

Roy

thank you

Thanks so much for your expert opinion. The technician was trying to tell me this model is a bad one...somehow in transition between Saturn and GM and a bad design some other b.s. Sounds like I need to find another technician and auto repair shop.

I agree. sorry, was having lunch

Roy