Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

A problem with the heater. When the truck is idling no

A problem with the...

A problem with the heater

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

When the truck is idling no matter what the engine temp gauge shows the heater only blows cold air as soon as RPM is up like driving down the road above 1000 to 1500 RPM the heater works like a blast furnace no problem

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2006 frontier

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Most likely I will fix it myself but it depends on what the actual problem is...... I checked the coolant level and noticed it was a little low in the reservoir

1/18/2018
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi what does the temp guage show at idle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see any kind of leak and it is parked on concrete so I would notice a coolant leak I think
I checked the level and it was just a bit below minimum in the reservoir so I added some coolant to bring it above minimum

you said "When the truck is idling no matter what the engine temp gauge shows the heater only blows cold air as soon as RPM is up like driving down the road above 1000 to 1500 "

can you please clarify what is happening with the temp guage?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ohhh it seems to be somewhere around the normal spot on the gauge...there are not any temps on the gauge just a dork gauge not a real temperature indication.....so I don't notice that the gauge changes when I am idling or driving it stays around the same level once the vehicle is warmed up to normal temp
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I t seems that the gauge goes to about the same place I have seen since I have been driving this vehicle
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did we loose connection?

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

sorry for the delay.

if the cooling system is full and does not have air in it, the issue is likely to be a bad water pump which is failing to circulate the coolant - common issue. It will need to be replaced, I would suggest replacing the thermostat at the same time.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert
Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert