Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My truck is sputtering but only when I’m under load like…

My truck is sputtering...

My truck is sputtering but only when I’m under load like during acceleration, I am throwing no codes so I’m not sure how to proceed

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

Truck has 107k on it no never changed filters

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GM?

2012 Sierra 1500 5.3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I changed spark plugs thinking it may have been a misfire and problem is still there

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Truck is making a small whining noise coming from close to the transmission only during idle

1/18/2018
tech0405
tech0405, Technician
Good morning have you checked fuel pressure yet ?
I have not checked it yet
I have a pressure gauge but it is at a friends house up the road, not sure how this website works do I only get to connect with you once for 26$
Ok since you have no codes the most common issue to cause this on the model is a fuel pump in the fuel tank that is starting to fail you can see if the fuel pressure is dropping with a fuel pressure gauge installed into the fuel system to see if it drops . The pump is a very common issue on this model . I hope this helps please don’t forget to provide provide feedback for the help provided thank you
What should my fuel pressure be on this model
You should have near 50 psi please don’t forget the feedback thank you
tech0405
tech0405, Technician