Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 1995 C280 and there is no braking on the passenger…

I have a 1995...

I have a 1995 C280 and there is no braking on the passenger side front wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

Great. It's a Florida car with 90,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C280 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I installed a new brake caliper, but I couldn't bleed it because there is no brake fluid going to that caliper

1/18/2018
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you as best as I can. Are you able to get fluid out of the other 3 calipers? And why did you replace the right front caliper?

Chris

Unfortunately, I need to leave right now to pick up my son I'll be back in 45 minutes. Started pulling hard to the left when braking. Also no brake dust on the right front wheel and the rotor started getting rusty. At about the same time, the ABS quit working. No dash light indicating any problem though. Good braking on the other 3 wheels

Ok, got it. You have a stuck valve in the ABS hydraulic assembly OR a brake hose that may have come apart internally at that right front caliper. Try a new hose first. If the problem continues, then replace the ABS hydraulic module assembly. It has t be one or the other. I will look for your reply later when you get back.

Chris

Hi Chris. I was able to log in on my phone. I agree it’s possibly the ABS. If it was just a bad hose, wouldn’t the ABS still work?
Is there any other valves in the system other than the ABS? I know cars used to have proportioning valves front to back, are there valves right to left?
Not on your C280. The ABS system not only performs AntiLock functions, but also serves as a proportioning valve do to speak. The only valves are in the HCU.
Chris
I recently bought this car, I also live in Minnesota where the roads get slippery. If I remember correctly, I hit an icy spot and the ABS kicked in. I remember this because I was glad to see the ABS working on such an old car. I believe it was directly after that that it started pulling to the left. If I stop hard now, the right front locks up and no ABS chatter
Sorry, left front locks up
Ok, based on that news, I am more confident that it is the ABS HCU. I think that you can find refurbished ones on line. Do a Google search for C280 ABS. I think you will be able to get one that way.
Chris
I only searched Amazon. Looks like they have them for $116. Not sure if it’s an OEM or not. Any advice for install? Do I just swap it out and bled all brakes starting with the right rear
That is a good price! It is probably an OEM that was refurbished. Yes just replace it, then bleed the system several times starting from right rear , then left rear, right front, and then left front. Then check the brake operation and perform a few panic stops to exercise the valves. Then perform one last bleeding procedure.
Sounds good. Thanks for all of your help Chris!!
You are very welcome my friend glad I was able to help you tonight
I hope that this information was helpful, and if so, would you kindly help me out by taking a moment to rate my service or accept my answer using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.Thank you!Chris
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Thank you for the positive rating! I will leave this session open for a few days just in case you have any follow up questions.Chris