Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Went to have a NC Inspection on my MKZ. Too many unset (not…

Customer Question
Went to have a...

Went to have a NC Inspection on my MKZ. Too many unset (not ready) readiness codes (4). Tech said the OBD Drive Cycle was not completed. The battery was not disconnected in the past year. The battery was replaced in mid 2016.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Catalyst, O2 Sensor Heater, Evaporative System, and O2 Sensor. Did not try reset.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MKZ?

2009

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKZ yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’ve not done anything, just some research about OBDII. The info about the 4 readiness monitors came from the NC Inspection station.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have supplied all the info that I know about

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car
1/18/2018
Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started! Is there a check engine light on?

No the check engine light is not on. In fact no warning lights are lite now nor did they light on during this event. I drove to FL and back during the holiday season, no problems or lights during the trip, other than low tire pressure warning, inflated tires to spec which shut the warning light off, no problems with the MKZ since then. NC Safety Inspection failed this past Monday.

you could have a faulty light, did hey say if the computer had any codes in it?

Let’s continue with the msg

He said that the computer did have codes in it.
I did a startup diagnostic and did not see any faulty lights.

thats a new one to me, has to be something wrong with the computer on there end or yours, but I dont know so ill open this back up to the others to see if they can assist

Auto Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Did the shop make any recommendations to fix your situation?

ECU monitors are the internal components of the vehicle's ECU that read inputs from the various senors , they will not turn the engine check light on but will not allow any emission tests to be completed. Usually when these monitors are incomplete it was because the power source to the ECU was lost at one time and needs to go through a driving cycle to re set them. In some cases if they do not re set the ECU has to be replaced. I would check that the EFI & ECU fuses are ok then have a shop put a scanner on it to see if it needs flashing or replacing.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.