Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My cadillac is a 2008 cts 3.6. It is cranking but not

My cadillac is a...

My cadillac is a 2008 cts 3.6. It is cranking but not starting

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Just put half a tank in before coming home on friday. I just bought the vehicle a few weeks ago. It had a rough idle. My husband works nights and im trying to figure it out on my own. It doesnt try to start at all. The starter is just turning

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Installed a new battery tonight because we drained the battery trying to start it. Also bought a crankshaft position sensor. Havent put that on yet. New battery didnt help

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was cold saturday. Added heet thinking the gasline may have frozen.

1/18/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

when you turn the key to the on position, can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the fuel pump hums
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My husband tried starting fluid and that didn't even burn.

ok. now, when the engine is cranking, are the rpms moving?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does the test on the rpm. Then sits steady a hair above 0

ok, if the rpm needle is moving while cranking then the crankshaft position sensor is unlikely to be the issue. next would be to check for spark and injector pulse.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's getting fuel. No spark

did you check the injectors to see if they are spraying or did you use a noid light to see if they are getting a pulse command?

can I have the vin please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I smell it up under the hood i dont know how you check for fuel on an injected motor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The check engine light was on but havent had a chance to have it pulled is there a way to pull codes

you need a noid light. you can buy a cheap set at any harbor freight or part store. you disconnect the fuel injector, plug the light module into the connector. crank the engine and if the computer is commanding the injector to pulse the light will rapid flash

can I have the vin please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1G6DG577480192843

thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll have to have my husband do it tomorrow. He's leaving for work now. This is frustrating lol. We plan on buying a code reader tomorrow

ok, Ill be here tomorrow

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do i just come back to this conversation

yes mam

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I truly appreciate your time and help tonight

you are very welcome and Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Checked the mentioned fuses all appear good. Also pulled the engine 1 relay and plugged back in. It acted like it wanted to start for a second, but went back to starter turning

ok, can you try spraying starting fluid into the intake to see if it will run for a few seconds?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did nothing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the way to buy the code reader now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No codes

ok. please standby

is the theft/security light going out when cranking the engine?

ok,

how many cylinders were checked for spark?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would i check it looks like its screwed on cant see plug

I thought you said at the beginning that it wasnt getting any spark?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It seems to not get spark according to my husband. I asked him this morning if he checked it he said he didn't know how. He sleeps during the day and works all night. I thought he had but says he wasn't sure how on this motor

you have to remove the coil packs, get a spark tester, plug one end of spark tester on to the plug and stick the other end of the spark tester in the boot. crank the engine and if you are getting spark you will see it through the spark tester.

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic