Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

The new cv shafts for my Pulsar N16 1.8 litre automatic

The new cv shafts...

The new cv shafts for my Pulsar N16 1.8 litre automatic turned out to be for a manual transmission. Have now fitted the correct shaft on the driver side. Is the passenger side shaft the same for both auto. and manual? It is making an odd noise at speed.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

120,000 kilometres and original trans.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Pulsar?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pulsar yourself? What have you tried so far?

Doing it myself. The drive shafts I bought turned out to be for a manual. The driver side (Right) would not fit properly. Inquiries at the parts shop lead to the discovery that I had been sent the wrong parts. Correct part fitted to right side now, but I wonder if the short shaft is suitable for both transmissions.

1/17/2018
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If it has the shorter shaft, it's more likely to pop out. So if you can't get the correct shafts, then the only way would be to take apart your old axles and the new ones and change the end that goes into the transmission to the new shaft from the old.

But the shafts lengths are important. So I would focus on getting the correct shafts.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician