Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I want to remove the motor but it seems impossible to get…

I want to remove...

I want to remove the motor but it seems impossible to get the bolts out that hold the transmission to the engine. So?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Who cares?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 Ranger automatic 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes taking motor out to change timing chains. Just want the easy way first. I have done nothing other than look and read.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I want to know the easy way to get the motor disconnected from the transmission so I can get it out.

1/17/2018
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, the easiest way is to place a jack under the rear of the transmission, remove the cross member and let it tilt back. You can then use long extensions to get to the bell housing bolts from the bottom.

If you need full removal are chain replacement info please let me know.

I want to take the engine out of the truck to replace the timing chains. I think I have the timing chain infor I need. just don't want to spend all day chasing the engine out so I asked I pro What is the easy best way to disconnect the transmission for the engine. Step by step. I have all the other items disconnected. Its just getting to the bolts that hold the transmission and engine together that's got me. So what is the easy best way to get the bolts out
when can we talk it sounds like the best option.

I'm unable to provide a phone call. Another expert may phone you. Below is the easiest way.

1. Remove exhaust pipe from manifold and center of system

2. Remove rear crossmember

3. Lower rear of trans and remove shift linkage/clutch slave cylinder line if equipped.

4. Remove cover and torque converter bolts if auto

5. Use long extensions and remove bell housing bolts. I often use a swivel socket on the end.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
ok I am going to give it a try. thanks It just hard work. so lets get it on!! thanks
Christopher Jirak
Phone call session started

You're welcome, if you run into any issues just reply back. Thanks for the positive rating and for using Just Answer!