Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

The navigation display unit on my 2002 Acura MDX is blank…

The navigation display unit...

The navigation display unit on my 2002 Acura MDX is blank most of the time. Now and then it will work for a while and then quit working again. All my research on line says that this is a common problem and that the display unit needs to be replaced or repaired. However, nowhere is the root cause. I took it out and don't see any problems.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ZDX yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is an MDX. Yes, I checked all the wiring going from the navigation unit to the dashboard and it seems fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

It appears to be an intermittent problem with the display unit - Alpine 39810-S3V-A010-M1

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No - I just want to know if I can fix the unit (solder problem, wire connection) or if I need to replace the unit. Units are very expensive - they cost almost as much as the car is worth.

1/17/2018
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

the problem is a simple internal failure of the unit itself.

this is a single non repairable part per Honda, so tech's just replace them - nobody opens them to look for bad solder, etc.

the best path forward would be to get a used replacement off ebay

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert