Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

The key wont turn in the ignition. Turned it all the way…

The key wont turn...

The key wont turn in the ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes. turned it all the way left , then right key still wont turn. key does not seem damaged

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

2005 outlander sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outlander Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its a 2012 The only thing I tried was turnig the wheel both ways while turnib

1/17/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do you get the same results from both of your keys?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i ONLY HAVE ONE KEY. I'VE HAD THE CAR FOR 5 YRS. NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE

If you tap on the key head with a screwdriver handle or such while trying to turn it, will it then turn?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I HAVEN'T TRIED THAT. WHEN YOU SAY KEY HEAD, IS THAT WHATS EXPOSED AFTER I INSERT THE KEY INTO THE IGNITION?

Correct

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I HAVE TRIED TURNING THE WHEELS SLOWLY, WHILE I TRIED TO TURN THE KEY WITH FOOT ON THE BRAKE.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that your advise? tap it with a screwdriver or such??
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the steering column isn't locked in a way that it's binding the linkage in the column then this is most likely being caused by a stuck tumbler in the lock cylinder. The permanent repair would be to replace the lock cylinder but you may be able to get the key to turn again temporarily.

Spray some penetrating oil directly into the lock cylinder. Insert the key and run it in and out quickly several times, repeat the process.

Then insert the key fully and give it a few good taps on the end. This will often jar loose a stuck tumbler.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician