Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I want to buy a 2 year old class Winnebago ERA 170C in

I want to buy...

I want to buy a 2 year old class B Winnebago ERA 170C in Little Rock but live in New Orleans. The seller is a Camping World dealer. What are the key questions to ask about condition before I fly up there?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

Ok, thanks. Some delers have been known to put older tires on newer vehicles. How can I tell when a tire was made?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2016

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I don't own it yet (see above). What would you look for to determine if the RV was in an accident?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm most interested in "things to look for" when purchasing a vehicle of this type.

1/15/2018
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I am Randall. I am reviewing your question now and will reply shortly. You may see a popup for phone call request, That is not from me but rather the site. We can keep in this chat format or a call if you prefer.Call is an option not required. Thanks. Back shortly

do you happen to have a link in which I can see the listing on this RV?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetails/used-class-b-rvs/2016-winnebago-era-170c-rear-bath-80k-LIT1512916
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get the link?

Very sorry , I was called away, Back now . Let me review this and get with you shortly. Thanks

Let me ask, did they give you any history on the RV? meaning they acquired? And what will be your use of this unit? FT living or camping once in awhile?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not ask because they might lie and then how would I know? 10,000 miles seems like a lot for a 2016 especially since it's not suitable for FT unless someone wants to live like a monk on wheels. For myself, I want to travel North America alone for one month at a time in an RV that gets good gas mileage, is reliable, can tow my Prius, and has a real shower, nice kitchen and is less than 25 feet to fit in the driveway.

Thanks, ***** ***** going to type and send as much information back to you as I can, I am VERY familiar with Rv's this model as well, We live FT in a Class A.I meet people all t he time with this unit and I am familiar with the Chassis as well as Camping World. I was an RV tech for several years and I am a Master Tech of 36 years.Please allow me a few minutes to send my thoughts, some answers etc. Many thanks. Randall

Ok., first off to be honest? JUST my opinion? Camping World has a rather poor reputation. Most problems around the country is warranty, service etc, I am NOT saying this one is bad but the majority of FT Rv'ers tend to stay away from C amping Worlds, With that being said? it really looks like a nice unit. They are well built, very few problems even if at all chassis and engine wise and so on, They are durable and most all I have spoken to? love theirs. To help with some of your basic questions? yes, you can get tire date by what I have noted below, Any accidents? hard for me to answer that but you just look as close up and down the sides for any ripples, rough spots door gaps out of line and so on , Be sure to pull the oil stick, see if low and or dirty or clean.Be sure you want to have them run ALL the items inside, Furnace, Fridge, HW heater,, backup camera,everything you can do to be sure ALL work. Drive it and drive it on road test to be sure drives straight, no wandering, and all lighting brakes everything seems ok to you. There are people that do RV inspections and may be worth the small fee to have that done. Camping worlds if they want to sell? should honor a second opinion. Value? I am not an expert at that but some checking>? I see low retail around $82000 and high retail around $94000 so seems they are close in asking price to ME? is right in line but make offer, be sure to do that:). Again Rv inspectors know what to look for in each and every cranny. Just worth considering. In summary?> I love the unite from what I can see. I think you would be making a good decision on one of these even if this is not the one, Towing on this I think is around 5000lb, correct me if I am wrong.

Go to the DOT # on side of tire

The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003.

Rate my service by using the stars at the top of the page. Just Answer can only compensate me for my time and resources after feedback rating thus rating is required . Rating includes any follow-up questions you may have once you leave feedback rating. Free trials and member questions still require a service rating
Thank you so much!Randall

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. This is helpful. Tried to engage a Little Rock inspector. The ones with good reviews seem to be in Florida now... enjoying the weather in their own RVs.

darn, I am unsure int hat area but here in DE area we have several here year round, Keep me in the loop. you may? have to trust your instincts on this one. LMK how things go, Thanks

Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician