Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My Ford E 350 RV runs for a while then loses power diesels…

My Ford E 350...

My Ford E 350 RV runs for a while then loses power diesels and dies. I have to what about 15 minutes before it will start. Is this a EGR valve problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

IT only happens once or twice a season but when it happens I begin to lose power and then the engine dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your F350?

1994

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't done anything yet but I've got to get fixed this year probably by a mechanic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/14/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

if the EGR valve is stuck open then yes it can make the engine stall

So check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

then try checking for airleaks after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for causing rough running. As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no acc**t touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The engine seems to run fine unless it's a long or difficult trip, over an hour running. One time I had driven for 5 hours then when we stopped to lunch as I slowed down the RV stalled in an intersection and would not start. I had to have it towed over to a gas station. After a 20 minute wait, it started up and drove another hour fine. During that 20 minutes, I cant start it and it diesels but wont start.

Hello

OK if its time and duty cycle related then it could still be a sticking EGR but before that I'd replace the fuel filter as the next step

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer
Matt, Engineer