Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2001 pt cruiser no power steering replaced pump installed in…

2001 pt cruiser no power...
2001 pt cruiser no power steering replaced pump installed in line filter now blowing fluid out of reservoir could I need a new rack?
1/13/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

did you also replace the reservoir?

are you there?

No this has a separate reservoir. This is acting like excessive back pressure if I take cap off while running will over flow until low enough will not work.

standby

did you bleed the system properly?

worked great for about a week now this problem

check on the bottom of the reservoir to see if there is a screen

I have removed reservoir and cleaned screen

check to see if the return line is clogged. you might want to have the entire power steering system flushed out

ok we flushed entire system flowing pure red now also removed reservoir again made sure screen was clean now what?

still blowing out of reservoir?

is there evidence of fluid coming out of the end seals of the rack?

I will check
still blowing out of resevior also noticed worse when cold, also if I leave cap off it does ok

if you leave the cap off it doesnt blow out of the reservoir?

correct
I can see good circulation with the cap off

too much pressure build-up in the reservoir ...replace it. this has been the problem in a lot of older cruisers.

hows it going?

put on new reservoir flushed system again with atf+4 still pushing fluid out of cap that was a 89.00 mistake.

I'm not sure then. I will open this up to the others to chime in. Please do not reply back or it will take the question off of the board.

ASETech32605
ASETech32605, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** I will help you!

The pressure that is building up in the reservoir is most likely caused by a leak between the reservoir and the pump. Remove the line from the pump and put thread sealant on the line. This should take care of you problem. If it doesent, the seals in your pump are defective and you will need to replace your pump again.

Ok I will try that.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer!

Be sure to rate and accept my answer so I can receive credit for my work!

ASETech32605
ASETech32605, ASE Certified Technician