Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

97 eldorado stuck in park and none of the fix's that i've…

97 eldorado stuck in...

97 eldorado stuck in park and none of the fix's that i've seen seem to help. I haven't been able to find the releases that others seem to have on their cars. checked fuses, replaced the brake light switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Fluid is at the top fill mark and was changed about a year ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eldorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked the park/rev fuse, changed the brake light switch. I have to fix it myself cause it's in my garage and can't move it to take to the dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there any emergency release that would enable me to take it to the dealer

1/13/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech

Hi there, I am CAm.
This is surly just a bad shift interlock solenoid. Tell me, is this a column shift or console shifter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is a floor shifter

I thought so. Ok so there is a solenoid that is to release and allow you to shift, I suspect that is faulty. Are you doing the work yourself on this repair?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have to it is in my garage

Ok, the item is the BTSI or Brake Transmission Shift Interlock solenoid. The link attached has the replacement procedure. Once you get it out, use a test light to verify power between the 2 pins.

Alternatively you can remove it and then it will not be an issue BUT I caution you against doing this for safety reasons.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the picture you show for the shift knob is not the same as mine, there is no way i have a release to remove the knob. also my console is from the foot area in the back seat to the dashboard and i haven't found any to access the area under the shifter

There will be a small screw or retainer to remove for the knob. As for access, the top of the shifter housing will need to be removed. The trim will pop off, you need to work it carefully to remove.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i haven't been able to find anyway to remove the knob, i will look again but i have looked many times with no luck. the picture that you sent shows a thumb release but mine is in the front.

On the front is a small slit about 3/4" below knob, inside that is a small U shaped piece. Use a pick to pull that out and the knob will slide off the top.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not been able to remove the knob as the shift lever is only about two and a half inches from the dashboard and not having a proper hook I'm stumped. I will have to work more on this tomorrow, hopefully I can get it done. Thanks for the help.

You are most welcome. I am sure I will be around tomorrow, if you reply, I will see it and respond as soon as I can.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech